By: Stephanie Andrews & Danielle Cornely
Dining rooms are totally underrated and underused. We recently spoke with a client who said they use theirs only three to five times each year! If you’re having trouble figuring out what to do with that lonely extra space, we’ve got you covered. Here’s why dining rooms are as awesome as you make them.
1. The communal/meditative aspect. Eating together, even if it’s just 20 minutes, adds life and meaning to the room. Have conversations, tell stories, and make memories. Like to dine solo? Get the peace and quiet you deserve in a room where it’s just you and your delicious dinner.
2. Double duty. Since your only real dining room staples are a table and chairs, you can get creative with the other pieces. Select items that turn the room into something else. Try bookcases for a library, or shelving for a bar. (Hey, why not both?)
3. The perfect workspace. Get a good quality, sturdy table that will allow you to wrap presents, pay bills, do homework, and spread out with ease. Include a stylish storage piece to hold all of your supplies so everything is right where you need it.
4. Room to show off. The dining room is the perfect place to showcase your favorite art, photos, or collections by creating a gallery wall. Let the room say something about you. Love traveling? Mount a map to foam core, and use push pins to highlight where you’ve been and where you want to go.
5. Let the lighting say it. Whether you’re eating, working, or just hanging out, you’ll need a light fixture in your dining room that you’re proud to have as a focal point. Select a chandelier that expresses your personal style and suits your needs. Put a dimmer on it and go from an afternoon of paying bills to an evening of ambience.
Don’t neglect your dining room. Spend some time there, get to know the space, and be creative with how you use it!