26 Apr 8 Tips From Seasoned Interior Designers.
By: The Balance Design Team
As designers, we find so much joy in spreading our knowledge of how to make your home more comfortable and authentic. In fact, that’s part of how Design Pulp got started! We put our heads together to come up with 8 tips from our team of interior designers that you may not have heard before.
1. Start with the rug, and make it a good one. If you begin with a well made wool (preferably hand-knotted) rug, you can build the room around it. It’s a lot harder to find a rug that works in your color palette than it is to base your color choices on the rug you love. Plus, a quality rug will withstand guests, pets, and life in general.
2. When selecting lighting, make sure to take notice of electrical outlet access. You don’t want to fall in love with the perfect lamp only to realize you have nowhere to plug it in!
3. Choose art that you feel connected to. Meet the artist, research the piece, shop local — whatever makes a piece of art near and dear to you. It’s going to give personality to your space and tell a story through you.
4. Invest in what matters. Like rugs, a sofa should be something you pay close attention to the quality of. A good sofa should last 15 years, so make sure it’s one you love and feel comfortable in.
5. Forget what you may have heard about bold color. Often times using bright/bold/dark colors will make your space look bigger, not smaller, and it’s always a good way to bring some vitality to a room.
6. Measure your space before making purchases. This will help you determine the scale of furniture you need, which is usually the biggest issue people run into: buying too big.
7. Good window treatments finish a room, but they’re more complicated than you think! Hire a professional to take measurements, suggest hardware, and install them.
8. Stay true to yourself. What do you want from your home? What is your lifestyle like? Make sure that your space is visually pleasing to you but also functions in the way you need it to.